Yesterday I asked for feedback on Sessions I & II. Today I am asking the same for Sessions III & IV. I will be posting the questions for discussion here in hope that you will respond back to them on your own blog and leave a comment pointing to it or comment directly here. I will do my best to make sure your voice is heard even if it contradicts my own opinion on the subject.
Session III – Getting the Jobs We Want and Funding
- What specific types of jobs does Arizona wish to attract and retain to provide the ideal economy for its people? Consider: differences in urban, rural and tribal areas; how jobs interact with quality of life and the environment; factors unique to Arizona, such as its weather, geography, natural resources (including water), and tribal populations. Also consider both small and large employers.
- What general factors are most important in attracting and retaining the types of jobs Arizona wants? Consider, for example, physical infrastructure (including transportation), educational institutions, a trained and literate workforce, “sense of place”, cultural opportunities, climate, political structures, laws, taxes, and any other factors. To what extent does Arizona currently focus on these factors? Which factors offer the best opportunities for attracting and retaining the types of jobs Arizona wants?
- What incentives specific to the creation, retention and recruitment of preferred jobs in Arizona have the best results? Why? Consider tax breaks, government support, research and development support, start-up incubators and the role of universities among others. To what extent are we able to measure the effectiveness of such incentives? How well does Arizona utilize such incentives to achieve the best mix of quality jobs? Where are the best opportunities for improvement? What are the greatest challenges for improvement, and how can these challenges best be resolved?
- What public and private resources currently are available to support economic development that leads to the creation, retention and recruitment of preferred jobs? What actions, if any, should be taken to increase, diversify or stabilize funding for economic development? What factors present barriers to the optimal development of funding for economic development? How can barriers best be overcome?
Session IV – Getting There: Setting Priorities and Taking Action (It is my hope that I will have posted sessions I & II for you :))
- Based on your discussions over the last two days, what are the most important actions that should be taken to sustain and develop Arizona’s economy and position Arizona to compete effectively with other economies throughout the world for jobs, capital investment, and other desired economic activities?
- How should the actions identified in response to the previous question be prioritized? Which of these actions should we take immediately? Which actions should be taken over a longer period of time? Why?
- What is the most effective way to ensure that the actions identified in this session are implemented? What is each Arizonan’s role and responsibility in this process? How can individuals fulfill the roles and responsibilities identified in response to the prior question as members of business, government or other organizations? What is the role of entities, including businesses, government, organizations and others in accomplishing these actions?
After the final plenary session I plan to post any data they give back to us. Thanks for playing along at home!